Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ducks in the yard

Now if I still lived in Boone where there seemed to every animal that could be a farm around this title would be suck a shock.  But I now live in a suburban area over a mile away from any water.  
So here's the story...
I was making lunch and I happen to look outside and saw a really large bird in the yard.  So I went out to see what it was and it was a duck with 7 little babies following behind (everybody say ooohhh).
So I watched them for a while and they just went back and forth along my back gate (and by the way my yard and every yard around me is fenced in).  I decided we needed to call animal control to get them picked up and taken back to a lake or pond.
A few hours later the animal control guy showed up and he proceeded to try to catch the ducks.  
 In order to jump the fence the animal control guy had Katia hold two of the ducklings and she was doing alright for a while until she noticed that one wasn't really moving (it was fine just scared).  She got so worried about the one that the other little duckling made a break for it!  I was able to run around to the house 2 down from me and catch the little guy.
After a half and hour and jumping over fence after fence (what a trooper!), we had only caught the 7 babies and the mother wouldn't stop flying away.  Before we made the mother to stressed out, or worse to fly away and leave her babies behind we ended up letting the babies go and they were reunited to try again another day.

No comments: