Thursday, July 22, 2010

The rest of the story...

I just thought I would write this so I never forget the rest of the story.  I left off with our car being hit and from there I had the car towed to the shop.  I then started looking for a rental car to get home.  There was one rental place in town that would let me drive just one way but they did have 2 locations.  I called the Olathe location they had no cars, then I called the Overland Park location they had no car but said they should get on by 5:30.  When I called at 5:30 there were still no cars and they wouldn't be getting any that I could have.  
I decided to make a reservation for Tuesday so that I was sure that I would have a car. I didn't worry too much about having a car because I had made a reservation.  But when Joe and I were done at the bank we called the rental company and they had no cars.  We decided to just go to the rental place and hope that someone would drop off a car before the store closed, but that turned out to be a bust.  
We even tried to get a rental car for Joe to use for a few days (while he found a bike) and I could take his car home, and again no luck no one else in town had a car available.  I made a another reservation for Wednesday at 8 a.m. as my last effort to get home.  I called at around 7:45 to see if there was a car and guess what...no car.  I called every 2 hours to check, the last time at 11:45 still no car.  Then Joe text me no more then 10 minutes later saying there was a car!
We went straight to the rental company so not to lose the car.  I decided to get rental insurance off my insurer and get the limited liability with the rental company to cover my $250 deductible I might incur if I hit someone.  And I was glad when I saw the car they gave me a nice 2010 Ford Taurus that was all decked out. (nice car)

I'm happy as a clam that I am finally driving home to my kids.  I absolutely loved spending 6 day alone with my husband that I hadn't seen in several week, but I missed my kids.  I had been on the road for about 1 hour when a semi pulled on to the highway and he started throwing rocks.  I was already trying to get around him when a rock hit the windshield and it sounds like it was kind of a larger rock.  I felt sick and looked at the window to see if there was a crack.  I didn't see anything at first, then I looked over a few minutes longer to check again and there was about a 3 inch crack!  The $12 I spent on insurance for this 4 hour drive was the best money I have spent.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Holy cow! I'm just glad you made it back alive!! That is quite the story!

KC and DL said...

I just noticed you are reading River Secrets! One of my favorite series ever! Do you love it. I am reading another really good one I bet you'd like, The mockingjay. It is the 3rd in the Hunger games books. Have you read them? Seriously can't put it down. Anyway, totally off topic, but I had to mention it. Miss you guys!!