skip to main |
skip to sidebar
I don't know how long it's been, maybe a couple of weeks to a month; but my kids had decided that they wanted a turtle. So I told them they could get a turtle if they worked hard to earn some of the money. So they started to do jobs for me cleaning up the yard, anything I needed that I was willing to pay for. And I even got this blessed statement from my daughter "Mom if you need anything just ask me even if your not going to pay me I could just practice helping". So we went on a walk yesterday afternoon because it was absolutely gorgeous out. And had gotten about a block when Katia saw something on the ground, and she said "Mom, is that a real turtle?". I was not sure it was all black and had some dust on it and wasn't moving it was either a toy or dead is what went through my mind. So I picked it up and it moved so the kids was absolutely floored and asked if we could keep it and what was I suppose to say to those smiling eager faces but yes. So we walked back home to put it in water and find out what kind of turtle it was and what it needed to eat and live in. And we found out it was a snapping turtle not exactly kid friendly, but they did say they don't get aggressive until they are 3-4 inches long and ours in a little smaller. So I told the kids that we could keep for a while and then trade it in for another one later on. They seemed ok with that idea just as long as they had a turtle. Now mom's said of the story it smells really bad! I know I do not have the set up that it needs yet I am sure that a tank with filtration would not even compare to a toy bin with rocks and water. I do hope we can figure that out because right now it is out in the yet unfinished office. And I have tried feeding it some of the ideas I got off the Internet(cooked meat, worm, lettus, veggies) but I can't get it to eat and am afraid on might have a tragedy on our hands when my kids find their dead turtle which Katia has now named "Swift" ( it is not a fast moving turtle at all).
Have you have any suggestions I would love to hear them
4 comments:
We got our first turtle when we lived there... now we have 3! Ours are red ear sliders (very kid friendly) but here's what we do for them. First, the smell... must, must, MUST have a tank with some kind of filtration or submit yourself to changing the water at least once a day. We have a big tank and 2 small filters (cheap $10 walmart ones).
Ours eat reptile/turtle sticks that you can get in the pet department almost anywhere (Walmart has them, so does most grocery stores if you know where to look). They are usually by the fish food in a green can. Be carefully how much you feed him though, if it's too much, it will make the tank nastyand it'll smell more.
We also feed ours small, cheap feeder fish (usually goldfish) that you can get at Walmart or a pet store anywhere from 8 to 28 cents each. Those last longer and they can just eat them as they are hungry.
I don't know about snapping turtles or if any of this will apply to them, but I hope some of it helps. I would really recommend the red ear sliders though. They have been great (low maintenance) pets!
I love the name "Swift" for a turtle. What a clever girl Katia is.
Kyle says a snapping turtle is like getting your kids a tiger when they want a kitten! :) he thinks they might eat goldfish...?
Only you Katrina, Only you would this happen to. I can't believe your crazy life lately. I wish I had some advice for this one but I don't know anything about turtles. :)
Post a Comment